Thursday, July 21, 2011

Worse than a 10-year-old with a fair prize...

My ghost shrimp died yesterday. First one, then the other. I think they got a little too warm, but I'm not really sure.

Our power went out a little after 6:00 Tuesday evening. Just after my migraine hit. By 9:00 I had spent a large amount of time trying to sleep through the neighbor girl play catch in our yard just below my bedroom window (because her big, fenced-in backyard wasn't good enough for her) and had finally asked Heath if there was anything he could do about whatever was beeping in the house every minute or so.

I decided that, since the air wasn't on, and the upper level was getting a bit warm, I should move the fish, snail and shrimp(s) to the lower level. So I piled them all into the 1 gallon bowl I use when cleaning the tank and brought them downstairs where it was cooler. Of course, just over an hour later, the power came back on.

I left them in the bowl overnight, thinking I'd get them settled back in the tank Wednesday evening. I was completely out of it (see "migraine" above), but I do know that they were swimming around happily in the bowl before I left for work in the morning. However, I returned home to 1 less shrimp than when I left (the dead one having been given a "flush funeral" by Husband...thank you!). The other appeared happy and healthy, but less than an hour later, she too was gone.

So this weekend, I plan on setting up the corner tank so that I can take another try at raising baby ghost shrimp, and then begin the hunt for a store that is not out of stock. Hopefully, I'll find one with eggs. We'll see how that goes.

No comments: