Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Shhhh, tv.

I got a break in my going-on-4-day-long headache last night, so I sat downstairs (where its cooler) and watched a couple minutes of tv. There was a show on called "Ten Things You Must Know" and this particular episode dealt with skylights. I have no intention of putting one in; however, it's what was on, so I watched.

From the title of the show, I assumed that it would be a tips, tricks, and "must know" kind of thing. For example, when you play the flute, there is something you can do called overblowing that will turn one note into another note in a higher octave. Overblow a G and you get a high D. an A is a high E; B is high F; C is high G, etc. Handy little tip to know; all those happy little runs in The Hounds Of Spring (Alfred Reed) just got that much easier.

So, anyway, that's the sort of thing I was expecting from this show. I don't really remember what numbers 10 and 9 were, (though I am sure I could find them if I could remember the network the show was on and check out their website), but I remember number 8 because that is where I started to become concerned.

Number 8 was something along the lines of - If you remove a supporting beam to install the skylight, make sure you replace it. Huh. Seems kind of obvious to me. But, maybe somebody didn't put together enough gingerbread houses to know that leaning 4 walls and a roof together with a frosting adhesive is not enough to keep a house from falling. Okay, I'll let this one go, and wait for good ol' number 7.

Number 7 Check your local weather to be sure it isn't supposed to rain before cutting the hole in your roof.

Alright, what?

Dear person who needs to be told to not cut a hole in your roof if it is raining,
Hire someone else to install the skylight. And consider sterilization.
Thank you,
Me.

No comments: