Sunday, January 27, 2008

MmmMm... Hippo

1.) Experiments

Out of curiosity, I decided to see if my cat could learn the difference in the type of food we feed him. We usually buy a case of his cat food, which comes in assorted flavors, so I began to wonder if he would be able to learn the difference between the three choices, and perhaps express in some way which one he might prefer. I've heard of crazier things. To begin this experiment I simply repeated the name of whatever I was feeding him; beef, chicken, etc. My husband, of course, couldn't let it go at just that. He decided he'd make it more interesting. Every time he fed him, he would repeat Hippo. He was also more loyal to the cause, and while I would occasionally forget, he rarely did. So, the other night while feeding the cat, he was wandering around aimlessly, waiting for me to set the food down while I repeated whatever I had randomly pulled out of the box. I think it was beef. After repeating this several times I had a sudden urge. I cannot explain why I had this urge, but I did. So I said it. "Hippo." The cat stopped wandering, looked up at me, and meowed.

2.) "Paris Needs No Embellishment"
While walking through our local mega-groceteria the other night, I witnessed a sight so horrifingly disgusting that it needs no embellishment. Having just grabbed a half dozen eggs, my mind wandering to the next item on our list: an ice-scraper for the newest car, as apparently the two we have are forever lost in the other car and I had to borrow my brothers earlier that week (thanks!), I turned toward my husband and froze halfway. There, about 5 freezers down, was a young boy, perhaps 6 or so, doing something so disgusting that can't even be excused by the fact that he was a 6 year old boy. For there he was, walking toward me, tongue out, and up against the glass freezer doors. Sliding from freezer door to freezer door as he walked, never once lifting. Not even to pass over the frame. I have no idea where his parents were, and didn't hesitate to loudly and openly mention how gross that was and loudly and openly ponder where his parents were and that obviously they should be keeping a better watch over their child.

3.) Did He Just Say That?
We have a couple of spanish speaking employees at work. The other day, we had a vocational expert in the office and while waiting for his meeting to begin, was wandering around. I am located in a fairly busy area and I overhear a great many conversations, for which I can't complain as the entertainment value is far worth the distraction. This particular expert stopped to chat with one of the spanish speaking employees who has been with the company for over 4 years. He said "Hey (girl), how are you doing? Are you still speaking spanish?"
Yes, I laughed. Yes, he realized what he said quickly and tried to laugh it off.

4.) "Late To The Story That Had Been..."
Happy Birthday, Cyndy!
Happy Birthday, Alyssa!
Happy Birthday, Kathy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, yet another "let's make fun of the poor little kitty" thing again by the billfold picture people again. You thought the kid with the freezer door was bad, did you see his father in the meat dept.? Hey what's for supper.
Oh yea Happy Birthday Cindy (don't worry, I'm sure Wanda will learn how to spell your name someday), Alyssa, and Kathe

Wanda said...

Wanda is one of the few people who actually spell Cyndy's name correctly. :P

Anonymous said...

oh yea, well you make your cat live in a dresser draw.