Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Systematic

My nephew had his confirmation party on Sunday. It took almost 15 years, but yes, he is human. Congrats.

Remember the rant I was on at the beginning of my blog? Well, I am still on that, but here's a new one for you.

While I was attending said party, sitting on the couch next to my nephew, exchanging sarcastic comments as we do in my family, I overhear a conversation in which three women discuss computers and how little they know. They are talking of virus protection and the alarming amount of viruses on their computers considering they do have software--and I start to become annoyed. Not because they do not know how to use their computers (well, okay, maybe a little. Seriously, why have one if you have no intention of figuring out how to use it. Previous statement not intended for those who actually try... hi grandma...), but mostly because they assumed that all females had no idea of how to use this here tv screen with a typewriter attached, and while most of my great computer stories contain females as the main subject ("I keep hitting the backspace and trying it again, but my letters keep coming out in caps"), I would like to point out that there are a few of us out there who know what we are doing. Not to mention the numerous manager/executive level males at my last job who relied heavily upon their (female) assistants to help them with their computers.

I know stereotypes become stereotypes for a reason, but the next time you are about to generalize someone, please make sure I am not around.

No comments: