Friday, February 09, 2007

6 days of excuses...

As previously mentioned, I am confused because this is unacceptable.

And for those of you who did not get that, don't worry, there are few who will.

I needed to entertain myself for a brief period of time because I am within sight of my breaking point. I mentioned before that Miss I Got A New Job high-tailed (is that hyphenated, is it 1 word or 2, is that the prefered spelling?--sorry, another insider.) it out of here leaving me to do her work and two employees to deal with two .... other employees... alone, with the expectation that nobody would go flying out the window. Silly Marni. Since I have hardly talked to anyone in a while, I offer you 6 days of excuses:

Sunday started off with a lovely freak-out followed by a short but massive migraine. Not much to say there except that my bed is not as comfy as it used to be. Especially after several hours of lying perfectly still, not moving.

Monday was off to work so I could punch in by 6:30 and get started on all the panic-causing work I had. Still dealing with the “migraine hangover”, I was more than ready to turn around and head home when I saw that I could not see my desk. The boss was in this weekend and literally every open space on my desk was filled with files or sticky notes. I had to put everything on the floor to go through it because there was nowhere else to go through this stuff. On top of that, trying to merge two desks into one was not an easy task, especially since the desk that was being merged has more surface area then the desk being merged into. Task not quite accomplished (I was so frustrated that everything looked so messy, I feared another migraine), I set about trying to remember everything I had to do--before the sticky note bombardment. Of course that was before the boss came in for the day and decided that I did not have enough jobs to do, I needed to do some billing. Apparently having one employee solely dedicated to billing 40 hours a week is suddenly not enough. After work I ran over to the “sold” house to make sure no pipes had burst and left us with our very own ice skating rink (which they didn’t) then called my brother to yet again skip out on food pantry. I kinda suck.

Tuesday was definitely not any better. Another 6:30 a.m. punch-in and then a passive-aggressive reminder that monthly past due billing needed to be done and I needed to call so-and-so, and so-on, and then a trip to the doctors office. Now, because of the snow and all I had thought to myself, “Hey self, I wonder if they have had any cancellations because it is snowing pretty hard and it is really cold, and some people have time to reschedule, maybe you could get your appointment moved up…” So I called, and was told they had a lot of cancellations and that I could come at 12:15 if I would like. Since it was 11:30, and snowy, I left. I arrived at 12:05 and proceeded to sit through an annoying hour and 15 minutes of small talk from a not-so-interesting my-ager sitting across from me. Then proceeded to overhear her discussion with the doctor wherein she indicated “No, my husband does not know that I am getting my tubes tied, but we have three kids and I don’t care. Besides, I think we are about done. I don’t think we’ll be together much longer.”, as though she were tired of that old sofa she had in her house for the last 3 years.

After returning to work I suffered through the usual “So, when are you due. hahahaha” jokes from the lady who can’t decide if I am worthy of her presence or not.

Wednesday. (hold-please, I actually have to check calendars because I just thought that maybe I had my days mixed up because this week has been a big blur) Nope. I’m right so far. Wednesday was the day my boss walked in at 6:40 a.m. and said “Oh, thought I would beat you in today.” Nope. Wednesday was also the day the bills had to be done for the village my boss represents. Enough said. Aside from that, I found at that my first day of tagging along to court with the attorney is now going to be tagging along to court with a different attorney because my boss has a jury trial. One that I have to help with. Jury instructions, board preparation, etc. Not that I don’t totally love this stuff, but not right now. I don’t have time.

By Thursday I am more than exhausted and two fighting employees are not helping matters. Mostly because the one that is right is held at a more accountable level than the one who is not, and although I want to fire one of them and never ever have to deal with anyone like her again, I cannot. (More on this in my work blog). By the end of the day I have two bills that have to be done first thing Friday morning and guilt from a conversation that let me know I am letting people down.

Now I am dealing with Friday. After arriving at work around 6:30 all week, skipping lunch almost every day (obviously I am taking a short break today), and flying around like a crazy person, I am just not in the mood to listen to two other employees complain about how much work they have. Especially since their workload has not changed any. They are not feeling the effects of the loss of an employee; I am handling all of that. And the poor biller received word on Monday she had to have five bills done by Wednesday (one of which should actually be allowed a week or more to do). She is also frustrated. My sympathies, Michelle. So as I try to maintain my sanity, I ask that you all please understand. I have meant to call some of you, and I am trying to keep up with my extra-curriculars, but until things calm down (I don’t know when as we are still not hiring anyone to replace Miss I Got A New Job) I am a bit frazzled and forgetful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow it sure sounds like you could use a little help at work, I wish yu could turn it down a little before you make yourself even sicker. Seeing how you are so busy I don't want to bother you on the phone so I'll mention it here so everyone could sa yea or nay to save you the time of calling everyone. Since it is so cold and everyone is cooking to let the stove and or oven help heat the house, I thought maybe you can hoist another cookie party next weekend to give us all something to do. About the high-tailing or high tailing thingy I not sure what your question was on that but I no it is knot I word, however I'm knot sure of the highfinateing of it. I would think it wood be up to the individual useing it.Oh and now it is my turn to appolosize, I didn't know how busy you were at the office or I wouldn't of give my friends your work number. Don't worry if the call and you don't know the answers off the top of your head, just tell them you'll have to call them back in a few hours to let them know, I'll smooth it over with them later. Well until next time, just start taking it easy, ok? Love Dad