Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Restoration

Yesterday was pretty much awful. No particular reason, it was just awful. And being the third Monday of the month, I had food pantry. I left work and called Heath, who had previously left me a message saying he was supposed to go fix his boss' home computer, but he was still at work and was having an equally, if not more so, awful day. All I wanted to do was go home and give him a big hug. 11 1/2 hour days kill me. I rarely take lunches or breaks anymore unless I am about to lose it (which, I hate to admit, happens more than it should these days) and yesterday was one of those no break days. My point is, I really just wanted to go home. But I headed over to the church anyway, hungry (my boss kept me busy until I absolutely had to leave to "get me to the church on time"--I love My Fair Lady). Anyway, I cannot say that I usually look forward to this, but I don't really mind, and usually feel pretty good when I leave, but I was less than thrilled at the prospect of a long night after a long day, which I assume is pretty much the same for any emotionally exhausted person. But boy (or goodnight, as my brother would say, adorable as it is), was I wrong about last night. I actually got to be out in the "waiting room" with everybody, talking, and after some of our volunteers had to leave (I believe they had some "breast cancer awareness" going on to go to)I handled calling numbers and marking on cards. A little hard on the nerves when you call a number and a person whose name you should know but just can't remember, jumps up. I got to talk to people more than I ever got to in the pantry room. Not that we didn't talk in there, but it was usually while trying to get them to pick their food so we could keep the line moving. Occasionally you stop everything and listen to someone going through a rough time that needs to talk, or to learn about a new person, but we try to keep things running smoothly in there.

Not only that, but I got to talk to the "newer" volunteers more. Or at least one of them. She's actually the mother/mother-in-law/mother of the boyfriend of the other volunteers, and let me just say that the entire family is nice. I don't just mean the immediate family, I mean the spouse/girlfriend/(and from what I hear)new boyfriend (whom I have not met yet but is supposedly nice, also). The type of people that you feel good after talking to because niceness like that is contagious.
So after I left I was completely rejuvinated (I feel a commercial coming on). It was exactly what I needed. Yay.

So, I stop at Taco Bell on my way home to pick up dinner, as both of us still have yet to eat anything other than a Special K cereal bar, and I really think the drive-thru lady was mad at me. I don't mean disgruntled-employee-does-not-want-to-be-there-and-is-mad-at-the-world, usually you can tell that their mad and it may be directed at you but does not feel personal. This actually felt personal. Before I could grasp ahold of the bag, it landed (luckily) in my lap. But, I was in such a good mood, I just felt bad for her and moved on.

Then, as just down the street from my house, I notice something annoying. Very annoying. All of the houses in the neighborhood have 4 porch lights. 2 on the garage, 1 on the side and 1 by the front door. This particular house I was looking at had 2 bluish white lights and 2 yellowish white lights, but instead of having 2 of the same on the garage and the other 2 on the front porch and side, they have them mixed. How annoying. Really. (Yes, I am one of those people that wants nothing more than to be rid of the people who hang one strand of blinking lights with a bunch of non-blinking lights--seriously people, do you know how incredibly annoying that is?) Imagine my dismay as I get closer and realize that it is my house. Mine. No. No, no, no, no, no. Not going to work. Must be changed. I appreciate my husband changing the burnt out (and even broken) lights. I do. It is nice to not have to worry about that, so I don't want to say too much about this, so... ummmm... I'm just going to try to let that go.

And now that I am finished, I remember that I do not blog right. Everybody else rereads and rewords. Sorry. Maybe I will try that sometime. I barely profread much less fix.

No comments: