Friday, February 23, 2007

Excessive use of the word hell

This post is rated 17. In television land, that equals a TV7--meaning it is suitable for children ages 7 and older--I, however, stand by my 17. Seriously.

Not being one to swear (until recently--unless I am playing MarioKart) (I am working on that, seriously)--I am way too immpresionable--I found it spewing forth in all of its unstoppable madness today. Oh yes, it was unstoppable. Particularly, the phrase "What the hell?" (For those of you currently arguing that that is not swearing, I consider it mild swearing due to its usage. You have your standards, I have mine.) If you were near me for any period of time today, you would have heard this phrase uttered several times in response to any number of vastly ranging goings on.

One such such event takes place in the store. I completely freaked out and lost it today, so I took my lunch. After putting on my crazed woman behind the wheel performance for anyone in the downtown area, I headed to a store. Upon entering the store, I wandered aimlessly for several minutes before rounding a shelving unit just in time to hear an older gentleman ask "Do I need a toilet cover?"

What the hell?!?!?

Surely I did not hear this man correctly. Why would he be asking if he needs a toilet cover? Does one really need a toilet cover? Isn't this the kind of decision that depends upon personal preference? And what if the person he was asking said "No. No, you don't need a toilet cover.", but this man really wanted one, would he have the nerve to stand up and say "I don't care. I want one of these here fuzzy toilet covers and I am going to get one!", or would he simply shrug, say okay and move on, never fully knowing the fuzzy coveredness his toilet could have splendored in.

I glanced quickly, so as not to be too obvious about the fact that I was completely enthralled with what I was witnessing and behold... he was holding a fuzzy toilet seat lid cover.

Are you picturing this? Seriously, you have to picture this. He was older, though not necessarily old. Maybe just reaching retirement. Whoever he was talking to was not standing right next to him and it took me a few moments to realize there was a young lady (possibly a granddaughter, definitely family) with him. He was standing next to a shelf of fuzzily bright toilet covers, holding one in one hand while petting the ones on the shelf with his other hand, and he asks "Do I need a toilet cover?". See. Chances are you would have had a similar thought even if you did not voice it.

Another similarly unstoppable spewment spawned from the frustrations of an employee (shocker). I had told said employee to put a document on hold until I gathered more information from another employee who was not in yet. To clarify, I said "Wait until so-and-so comes in so I can check with her on some information." She came to me this afternoon with a question on the very same document. Again, What the hell?!?!?! Did I not just say to hold that document. Here you are preparing a document that might not even need to be prepared. (sigh) She did wait until so-and-so came in. My fault for not clarifying. I tried to stay calm but the phrase still flew forth more obstreperously than an 8 year old on Christmas morning.

Forgive the conversational whiplash...
My insane Chicagoland-born-and-raised friend is trying to make me into a city driver. This is the lady to whom we had to explain that the restaraunt we were having our company Christmas lunch at was not in the back of that slow moving vehicle in front of her. You rock and all, but from now on when you tell me it will take me 15 minutes to drive somewhere (or however long you said) I am just going to double it. Or at the very least add on 20 minutes.

Random Thoughtiness...
I was recently informed that one of my friends from my last (and absolutely most wonderfulest...) (you caught the sarcasm in that, right?) job at RBC is going through a bit of a difficult time at work (still). I sent her an email recently, trying to cheer her up, and never heard back. Being the paranoid type, I wonder if I didn't type something wrong. You know who you are, and if you are reading this and I did type something wrong, please blame it on the spell check and forgive me. If I did not type anything wrong and you are just extraordinarily busy due to school and work, then I would love to hear from you whenever you do get a chance.

And of course, there is the snow. (See above where I mention that I really am trying to stop saying the aforementioned phrase--see, I am refraining and I really want to say it right now.) Yeah.

Yet, even with all of that, I have still managed to survive this day and still be in a good mood. Goofy even, and my wonderful, loving husband has humored me through all of my awful jokes, puns, and quotes. I love this man.
Which brings me to "anonymous'" answer: It's a standard picture. I think it comes with all new blogs. I hope my amazingly wonderful husband does not mind that I posted this happy picture of us together in all of our Heath&Wandaness. It sure beats the cute and not-so-cuddly evil cat that seems to have everyone fooled into believing he is sweet and kind and cuddly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oops I'm so sorry, I didn't know the cat was evil. Just wondering, how many times did it meow, "what the hell" today?

Katherine said...

I think your cat knows exactly "what the hell," as your cat is The Devil and therefore knows of which he speaks. Or meows.